Earthly Guilt

Lex woke up today all happy and shit going "Bob! Wake up! Happy Earth Day!!!" Bob-the-Cat's head popped up and gave her the one-eyed sleepy stare of doom. Of course she woke me up too, dammit. So I asked her, kinda pissy-like, "Why do people say Happy Earth Day? S'nothing to be so happy about, you know."

When we went out to breakfast I told her about some stuff I read on the interwebs. So, stuff about climate change and pollution and how we're basically fucked because we're so stupid and selfish as a society that we don't give a rat's ass about where our garbage ends up or what all that driving around in big SUVs is doing to the atmosphere. Lex stopped being goofy and was like "Okay, so what about the coffee cups we just tossed? Ever think about that?"

Well. Fuck. She had a good point.

We got into super srs convo mode and then it kinda hit us - we don't do shit about all the stuff WE toss out. We're part of the fucking problem! So then I told her about the whales and the big plastic blob of crap that's apparently floating around in the ocean. When you think about it, we're the generation that's going to be royally screwed by all of this.

So we made a short list for now. No fucking disposable cups anymore. No one is going to ask for sleeves and straws and shit. We are going to buy a reusable cup. We even drove to our favorite coffee stand just to check if it was okay. The barista told us we'd even get 25 cents off if we used our own cup. WHAAAAA??? Why does no one ever tell us about this?

I thought about the really pretty spots that we saw during our adventuring. I don't want places like this to go away:



Tulips Fields
ArtRage
Procreate


So I wound up trying to make a graphic that I could put up on IG in honor of today. (Yeah, I got a stupid IG. Gimli Bieber is rockin' it.)


Earth Day Graphic
Paintstorm Studio
Procreate
Over

I think I'm going to have a lot of thinking to do about making Earth Day not a one day out of the year shit. I may not like walking around outside, but dammit - I like nature! I love whales. And otters (so cute). And a lot of other animals that I can't name right now, okay?

So yeah, this needs to be a THING. We all need to do this THING. We're in this together! (Lex is already on board...yes!!!) We both are totally going to make a longer list of crap we can do.



Oh, and after I wrote out my journal entry, I found a pic that also said "replant" and "replenish." Makes total sense. I keep seeing them cutting down some really awesome trees around here to put in more houses. Like...WTF??? We need those trees, dammit!!!

Comments

Popular Posts